11/9/10

Tuesday Thoughts

You know it's funny. I wrote a post earlier this year about how I'm not perfect. And that it is ok. And that we can all learn from our own imperfections.

So I was remembering this as I was getting ready this morning - that I'm not perfect, I don't want to strive to be perfect and that I can accept myself for who I am. And I thought, it's funny because while I'm ok with not being "perfect" somehow I am a perfectionist.

Does that contradict just a bit?

I had this thought as I was working hard to get my makeup just right, my hair just so, needing to look a certain way and not being satisfied until it was well, in my own eyes I guess, perfect. And no, I'm not saying I should go to work looking like a slob, but you know, if I didn't cover that one blemish or if that one hair was out of place, would that be the worst thing ever?

Maybe that is a bad example. I am certainly not saying that being a perfectionist is a bad thing either. But there is a difference between "attention to detail" and "obsessive compulsiveness". I try to be more in the first category when it comes to my perfectionism - I work hard to make sure nothing is overlooked and I'm putting my best foot forward. But on occasion, I slip into the second category and that is where I think it contradicts with my saying it's ok not not be "perfect". If I truly believe that, then I need to not let myself become obsessive when it comes to certain things.

This post is another example - I have written and deleted, written and deleted several paragraphs worth! Again, I want to make sure what I'm putting out is clearly thought out and written well, but what am I so worried about? Yes anyone in the world can read my blog - but it's mostly friends and family who will love me no matter what.

So maybe I just need to remember my feelings that it's ok to not be perfect - because I think it's pretty funny to say that I'm a perfectionist who is ok with not being perfect! I'm nothing if not contrary!

Just random thoughts of mine on a sunny Tuesday I guess! What do you think, can you be a perfectionist without needing to be perfect?

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Pff! It's boring to be perfect. If we were all perfect all the time, nothing interesting or unexpected would ever happen! Besides, perfections don't lead to adventures.

It's our imperfections that make us (and life) interesting. ;)

Gina said...

I know I go along the lines of trying to be a perfectionist, but it always ends up coming off that it wasn't perfect and I think that is fine. Nothing no matter how hard we will try will always be perfect 100% of the time. I can totally see where you are coming from though.