2/2/10

I'm not perfect

I have a secret. I know this is going to come as a surprise to many of you but guess what? I'm not perfect! And I can admit this!

All saracasm and joking aside, sometimes there are moments in life that serve as a reminder that we, as humans, are not without imperfections. I wouldn't say I'm blind to my own imperfections, but every once and awhile something comes up that is a glaring reminder that sometimes, I make mistakes. It can be rather humbling at times. It is not necessarily a bad thing though. I look at these instances as an opportunity.

Last week was once such instance, a couple of things came up at work that certainly did not cause me to lose my job or even be in danger of such, but simply just reminded me, I still have room to grow here, I can always make improvements. Everything has worked out and is more than fine now and will be forgotten down the road, but I can't help but think of a few "mistakes" in my life that will always stick with me. They were good teaching moments so I don't regret them. They were simply good "check in with myself" kind of moments. Moments to step back and say "wait a minute, I'm not invincible. I'm not perfect. I am not without faults."

Examples -
Breaking my parents hearts by dating a guy (clearly before Nate) who was really not a good influence on me.
Attempting to major in something in college that was sort of influenced by what others thought I should do resulting in me kind of wasting the first year and a half before I switched to a different major.
Getting a belly ring in my junior year of college and a subsequent injury that followed. (Hey they aren't all serious)
Accepting a job on the spot instead of asking for time to think it over.

I learned from every single one of those things and countless others. And I try to never forget those life lessons as time goes on as a reminder that I am not perfect and I always have room to grow. Besides that, if we all truly were perfect in the most literal definition of the word, wouldn't life be rather boring? I'd rather always have something to strive for.

2 comments:

simplicity said...

I can relate with some of your list. Especially the majoring in something because people told you you should do that. I wonder how many young people do that without realizing it???

Gina said...

What an insightful post! I'm glad that you're using the things that happened last week to grow. Just think all of these experiences have made you into the wonderful person you are today!!!