11/10/09

Tuesday Top Ten - Thanksgiving

So, for November I explained that I'm moving my weekly Top Ten lists to Tuesdays so I can participate in a Thursday blogging activity.

Today, I'm thinking about Thanksgiving, the poor little holiday that I think does not get enough attention. It has become so overshadowed by Christmas and even Halloween, it's stuck being sandwiched between two very popular holidays and I just think it doesn't get the love that it should. There are so many awesome things about Thanksgiving. So today, I give you my ten favorite things about Thanksgiving!

10. Thanksgiving episodes of TV's "Friends" - laugh at me if you must, but the Thanksgiving episodes are some of the funniest and best of the entire series. And it's one of few shows that actually dedicated an entire episode to Thankgiving each year. I give them kudos for that.

9. The "Oh You Turkey" coloring contest in the Star Tribune. I grew up with this coloring contest, the giant sized turkey just begging to be colored on the front of the Variety section. Even as an adult I still enjoy coloring him and it doesn't matter if I can't send it in, it's just fun to color!

8. Mashed potatoes - you just can't beat homemade mashed potatoes with gravy. Drool.

7. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving - again, one of my favorite holiday specials, I love how they make a meal out of popcorn and candy. I just think it's cute

6. Four day weekend - It's nice to get a couple of days off of work. Normally I do not get the day after off, but this year I do like most people. Actually, I get a five day weekend this year because I also took off the day before Thanksgiving for my birthday!

5. Thanksgiving weekend sales - not just Black Friday, but the deals to be had the whole weekend. I almost always at least start my holiday shopping over this weekend because there is always a sale going on somewhere!

4. Spending time with family - especially members of Nate's family we don't get to see as often. His family makes a pretty big deal out of Thanksgiving so we usually spend the day with them and it's always very nice

3. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - I love the balloons, the cheesy performances, the floats and all the pomp and circumstance of this parade. A must watch for me.

2. Pie - I always bake an apple pie to bring to our celebration and I enjoy doing it too.

1. Being thankful - it's a good time to reflect on the many gifts and blessings in your life and I think it's a beautiful thing! This is why November's Thankful Thursdays is a great blog activity and why I gladly moved this list to Tuesdays!

No comments: