6/18/09

Never a dull moment

I tell you if it's not one thing it's another sometimes!

So we're having our new furnace and air conditioner installed this week. They started yesterday and will finish today. Everything has been going relatively smoothly save for one bump in the road last night.

We had a practice at St. William's last night because we're singing there this weekend for the first time. After we were done somewhat early, Nate decided to go to his friend Matt's to play nerd games for awhile. My parents invited me out for a drink so I said, sure why not, if Dad pays, I won't turn it down! So, we hit La Casita and headed home around 10:00. My parents dropped me off and then drove off when I got in the door.

I stood there for a second and realized "um, it smells like gas in here." Actually, my first thought was "it smells like those scratch and sniff stickers they used to give us in elementary school that said something about if you ever smell this, leave immediately." Anybody remember those stickers? Anyway, it took me a minute to register that this is probably not a good thing so I set my stuff down and did something you are really not supposed to do - took out my cell phone and called Nate. I just was in a panic mode, thinking, ok they worked on the furnace today, what happened here?? I called Nate who's like "um get out of the house right now and call Centerpoint Energy" I'm like "I don't have the number!" starting to get a bit hysterical, but Nate calmly replied "call 411 and ask for Centerpoint's emergency line, I'll be there in a little bit." So I pulled myself together and sat in the car and called them. They dispatched someone right away. Now, the cats were fine, they greeted me at the door and everything, but I still was worried, it just smelled so strong.

After I hung up with Centerpoint it dawned on me that I should probably call my dad, he might want to let the contractors know about this. If I had been smart and called my dad's cell as soon as I figured out it smelled, he could've turned around and came back, but I just wasn't that smart in my crazy panic mode. So I called dad, he said he was calling our contractor and if I needed him to come over he would. I said Nate was on his way so he said to just call if I needed him. Not five minutes later he called back and said "you know what, I'm coming over."

Everyone pretty much arrived at the same time. It turns out, we have a very old oven that has a standing pilot light. When the gas was shut off yesterday, the pilot went out which caused the gas smell. So fortunately, it wasn't anything serious. I ended up feeling kind of silly about the whole thing, but both Nate and my dad said I did the right thing and that the contractors should've checked those things when they turned the gas back on. So we opened all the windows and aired everything out and then got to bed, where I proceeded to lay awake because of the adrenaline! Needless to say, coffee was appreciated on a new level this morning.

I tell you, sometimes our life is never boring. In other news, I have to publicly thank my husband a thousand times over - I have been messing with the layout of the blog here to try and personalize it and prepare it for it's new name change (which I'm narrowing in on a title and I'm pretty excited about it) and I lost some stuff which made the blog look funny. My super awesome computer geek husband figured out how to fix it and for that I am SUPER grateful! Thank you honey, you are the best!!!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Oh that's so scary! I'm glad to hear that everything is okay. I bet you will be very happy once this is all finished.