12/1/10

Once in a lifetime



The people in the above picture (not the greatest picture, but I actually do not really have any of the two of them on my computer) are of course two of the most important people in the world to me seeing as they kind of gave me life and raised me. And in a few days, they are going on the trip of a lifetime and I am so happy (and jealous) but mostly happy for them.

The story begins a few months ago - about two weeks after my grandma died, my mom got a phone call from my aunt and uncle - they said they wanted to take my mom and all her siblings plus their spouses to Disney World. For a week. All inclusive. All expenses (minus spending money) PAID. Airfare covered. Hotel fares covered. Dinners as a family covered.

I should briefly explain - my uncle was an only child and handled not just his mother's finances but his aunt's and he came into quite a bit of money when they both passed on. He and my aunt have been able to do this type of trip a couple of times with my aunt's children and their children in fact. Anyway, my uncle loved my grandma as much as his own mother, so he said he wanted to do this for my mom's family in her honor - especially since she loved Disney World so much.

When it was put to them that way - my parents were like, how can you turn that down? It is extremely generous of my aunt and uncle. Now, my parents and I were blessed to be able to go to Disney World four times when I was growing up - but we never experienced it the way that they are about to. They will be able to do anything they want more or less - if my dad wants to golf he can golf. My mom and aunts are getting massages. They will get to eat at some of the nicest restaurants at the parks and stay in probably THE nicest hotel there.

In all seriousness, my mom's family as a whole has been through a lot in the last few years, not just the loss of my grandma, but also of two of my mom's brothers passed away and two of her other siblings have been battling cancer as well. It's a large family - these things happen. So, I cannot imagine any people who are more deserving than the some 17 of them that will be going. Plus, it'll be a chance for my mom and her siblings to really reconnect since some haven't really had that chance since they were children.

I am so excited for them, I know they will have an amazing time. I'm hopeful that Nate and I will be able to go there with them someday, but for now, I'm going to live vicariously and wish them the best trip ever!

Side note - today is also my dad's birthday - so happy birthday Dad!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I bet they are getting excited about going on the trip! How awesome for your uncle to be that generous and all of your grandma's children on the trip! I hope they have fun!!

simplicity said...

How cool is that!!! I hope that they have a great time and I think what your uncle is doing is so neat...such a true, generous, gift!!