10/21/09

Holding on to hope

20 years. Two decades. It seems like such a long period of time. But for one family, time has passed but also stood still for the last 20 years.

From what I've seen on the news this week, tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of the abduction of Jacob Wetterling. 20 years. How is that possible?

As a child/pre-teen growing up in the late 80's/early 90's in Minnesota, I remember much about this story and have lived a good chunk of my life being haunted by the same smiling image of a small town boy who disappeared in the blink of an eye. I was just one month shy of 8 years old when Jacob was kidnapped. And yet I remember it scared my parents to the very core - if this could happen in small town Minnesota, what hope do we have in a first ring suburb? My mom was afraid to even let me walk into religion class at church each week. But who can blame her? This was a very frightening, heart wrenching story.

As I've gotten older, I've found myself in awe of Patty Wetterling. I don't know how I would manage to go on if I was in her shoes, but she has done so much for child safety, she's really made a difference in the world. And she and her husband have never given up hope that Jacob will come home.

How amazing was it when Elizabeth Smart came home or just recently, Jaycee Dugard returning home after 18 years? It can happen and who knows, maybe someday Jacob will too.

The Wetterlings will never give up that hope. And it is an inspiration to me.

Peace to you Jacob, wherever you are.

"Once you choose hope, anything is possible" - Christopher Reeve.

No comments: