10/28/09

Betty...and Bethie?

I'm not a very good cook. I can admit it. I love reading recipes and I like the idea of trying them out, but, I also like a meal that can be prepared rather quickly with minimal clean up. But every once and awhile I jump in and try something challenging and new.

Yesterday was one such day. I took out my big red Betty Crocker cookbook and made us beef stroganoff in the crockpot. And it turned out fantastically. It was a little more prep work than alot of my meals, but so worth it in the end.

I started really paging through this cookbook and decided, I need to start trying more of these meals. So in the spirit of the movie "Julie and Julia" (That I have yet to see) I am going to cook my way through the Betty Crocker cookbook - sort of. I don't plan to try every single recipe, especially if it doesn't sound appealing, but I am going to shoot for trying something out of this big book once a week. I may not necessarily blog it here, but I am going to make notes in my book of what I've tried, what we liked or didn't like, if I could make it better with variation. Then someday I can give it to a future grown up child as a neat sort of hand me down gift.

I also think this will teach me to be a better cook which is a good thing too! So we'll see how it goes! I'll try to blog my progress on occasion, but I can't make promises!

1 comment:

Jes said...

Sounds like a wonderfully yummy experiment!