4/2/09

More beer fun

Our newest batch of beer that we have been enjoying may be one of our more popular ones to date. It's called a saison. It actually has a slight flavor of banana and clove to it. Overall it's a very light beer. It's been well received by people so far.

Nate has brewed up his chocolate stout again, which has been our very favorite beer to date. We just bottled it up over the weekend. This time, he will be saving some bottles to enter into a contest at the State Fair.

Currently fermenting is one I believe is called a rodan. I do not know what this one is going to taste like, Nate chose this one simply because, "it sounded different". I'm a bit frightened by that concept!

We've also been enjoying a smoked porter and his co-worker's cream stout.

Next on the list is a sizer - which is going to be a form of hard apple cider. We're taking advantage of a Sam's Club membership to buy apple juice in bulk! We'll possibly be brewing the Red Ale, which was our first brew, again in the near future as it's a lighter beer that will be awesome for the coming summer months!

I gotta say, I have really been enjoying our beer making and getting to enjoy the fruits of our labor. There's only been one batch that I was not a big fan of, so that's really not too bad considering I think we're up to at least 10 batches at this point!

It's fun to go to the beer store and see the different names too - there's one called a Lefse Blonde. I really want to make this one just based on my Norwegian heritedge! We'll see how things go.

We're hoping to have a couple of different beer parties this spring, with our friends and also with the Castoffs (or as we've now lovingly decided to call ourselves - Dips - which stands for Displaced Immaculate People. Thanks to Fr. Backer for pointing out that acronym). So at any rate we'll be sharing with all of you very soon!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I love that you guys are trying all these new types of beer. I'm kind of excited to see what the hard apple cider one will be like. State fair entry is a great idea!!!

Daeda said...

Yum! Light beer with banana and clove flavor - sign me up to try that one! And chocolate beer I totally want to try. Who needs to go out for drinks, we should just go to your house! :)