4/8/11

Party like it's 1999

Yeah, I know, been quiet on the ole blog here this week. Just haven't had much exciting things to share! Nothing wrong with that. Anyway, I was listening to the Current this morning (what else do I listen to?) and they do a 9:30 coffee break where they pick a theme and ask for suggestions. Today's theme was 1999 - as in the year, not the Prince song. So I Googled songs from 1999 for the fun of it and man, what is it about music that brings memories flooding back so easily? Many of the songs I found totally put me back in 1999 and I thought for fun I'd share my thoughts today. Let's go back 12 years...

In 1999, I was finishing my junior year of high school and beginning my senior year. Nate and I had been dating for one year.

A typical Friday night for us consisted of either going to a movie after dinner or watching movies in my parent's basement.

A typical Saturday night for us was usually spent out at dinner after I sang for 5:00 mass at church. Sometimes we'd go with my parents, sometimes we'd go alone. Usually followed up with more movies in my parents basement. So exciting.

We spent every Thursday night at church for youth group.

We went to Y-Teens, Sadie Hawkins and Prom in 1999. I had a lead in the spring play, Harvey.

I had a summer job at Homeplace - a "home goods" store that used to be at Northtown Mall and is no longer in business. I hated every second of that job, but wanted to prove my independence to my parents, so that's why I took it. Nate worked for Franks Nursery and Crafts - unlike me, he actually liked his job and still worked there during the school year. I started my job in June and quit by the second week of August.

I attended Music Ministry Alive for the first time that summer - one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Also became a cantor at church for the first time.

I went to Maine with Nate's family that summer as well. And managed to also spend a week in a cabin up north with my parents too. Guess that summer was all about traveling!

The fall took us into our senior year. Pep band at Friday night football games. Other school activities consuming our time a little more than usual because it was the "last" time for some of it.

We both turned 18 that November. I started applying for colleges. Making the slow transition to "adulthood". Celebrated the end of the milenium at Nate's house with his sister and a friend of ours, somewhat low key, but we were never big "partiers". We were who we were and didn't really care what others thought.

I remember those days with wistful fondness - they were some of the best of times really. Carefree, innocent. I wouldn't trade where I am now of course, as I love my life now too, but 1999 was a good year in my life. And I'm glad that music can have the ability to take me back.

Soundtrack for this post: Slide - the Goo Goo Dolls
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Silent All These Years - Tori Amos
Hands - Jewel
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
(Radio station of choice in 1999 was 104.1 The Point - it does not exist any longer!)


Nate and I - Y-Teens Winter Formal, early 1999


2 comments:

Gina said...

Love the flashback!!! Crazy how different our lives were 12 years ago. I love the music selection too!

Jes said...

Fun memories :)