5/5/10

Update on our running program

First of all - thank you all for allowing me to be a little more exposed and candid yesterday. Sometimes it feels good to be completely honest. Today is a bit better, no changes, just kind of going one day at a time. In a more peaceful place overall.

Today I thought I'd give a little update on Nate and I and our running program. We're about halfway through right now. Six out of 12 weeks. I can't believe it!

We've increased the amount of time we are out each morning plus the amount of distance we are going. The program gradually does this in a way that seems to make sense. For example, the current week we are on we are up to six minutes of running to four minutes of walking. It's repeated only once.

On the off days, the more "low energy" days, it's a full 30 minutes of walking. Which actually isn't all bad - I find that now it is actually a little bit boring to just walk for 30 minutes. Sure we talk alot, but we're also both half awake at that time of day (5:45 am, yep that's right). Nate thinks that the point behind these days is building endurance.

I'm nervous about next week. We get to continue the run six, walk four type pattern - but there is not a "low energy" day. The off days (Tues, Thurs) - we get to run for a grand total of 10 full minutes. YIKES! 10 minutes with no break? I'm struggling to get through six minutes right now!

Yet, even though each week seems harder and I find myself wondering how I'll ever make it through - I look back on the first week and how running even for a full minute was brutal. And now one minute is a piece of cake! It will get easier.

It'll be interesting to see how our running goes when we take our trip to Itasca - we'll be in the 8th or 9th week at that point and we want to try to still do it.

I am still so impressed with and proud of Nate - he was dog tired this morning and was so tempted to skip it, yet he still did it and he had to be the one kind of cheering me on at the end of our run today - he is actually inspiring me with this! He has toned up a bit through this process, I don't know that he has necessarily lost of ton of weight, but I'm just happy he's active. It's so good for him and for me as well!

I do find it funny, as I have shared with some of you as we've talked, that my appetite has grown quite a bit. When I get hungry, I get hungry and I need to eat now. I am trying to stay sensible with this - I have healthy snacks whenever possible. No sense in eating just any old crap just because I will burn the calories later!

So there you have it. I can't believe how far we've come and I can't wait to see how much further we can go! Who knows, maybe next up will be a 5K or something simple like that!

1 comment:

Gina said...

5K!!! You could totally do that! If I can do it, you can. I need to get back in the habit of running again. I used to do it all the time. I really have no excuse. You are truly inspiring me.